New South Wales Minister for Finance and Services Greg Pearce said Sydney Water’s planned expenditure will provide better and more reliable services across its 45,000 km of water and wastewater pipes, more than 800 pumping stations, 265 reservoirs, and 38 treatment and recycling plants.
“In 2012-13 $A380 million will be invested to maintain, renew and upgrade Sydney Water systems across Sydney, the Blue Mountains and the Illawarra,” Mr Pearce said.
The investment in 2012-13 for maintenance and upgrades includes:
- $A104.9 million for water distribution systems
- $A72.4 million for sewer network upgrades to ensure reliability
- $A72 million to assist with reduction in frequency of overflows
- $A71.3 million to upgrade wastewater treatment plants
- $A54.3 million dedicated to repairing critical water mains
- $A4.9 million is dedicated to stormwater asset renewals.
“This program will improve the reliability of Sydney Water’s infrastructure, ensure supply to customers and minimise leakage impacts on the community and the environment,” said Mr Pearce.